According to the company’s website, Samsung is introducing some of the photography functionality found on the flagship Galaxy S22 to previous devices. The One UI 4.1 update will be available for a variety of devices, including the Galaxy S20, S21, S10, Note 20, and a section of the Galaxy Z Fold and Z Flip families.
In a post on its Korean community site, the business explains some of the functions it’s bringing back to older smartphones (via Android Police). Unfortunately, not all smartphones will support every function listed here, with the majority of capabilities being limited to previous-generation devices such as the Galaxy S21, Z Fold 3, and Z Flip 3.
If your device is compatible, the update may bring a number of camera-focused features, such as pet recognition, the ability to change the position of lighting, telephoto lens support for portrait videos, Samsung’s Expert RAW app, improved Director’s View for videos, and Samsung camera integration with Snapchat.
The update also includes telephoto lens support for Pro photo and video modes, a quick photo-sharing feature that automatically optimizes your photos before sharing, a tool for removing objects, shadows, and reflections, and a night portrait mode that we didn’t find particularly useful in our S22 review.
This is how it all works:
- Night portrait support: Galaxy S21, Z Fold 3, Z Flip 3, S20, Note 20, Z Fold 2, Z Flip 5G
- Pet recognition: Galaxy S21, Z Fold 3, Z Flip 3, S21 FE, S20, Note 20, Z Fold 2, Z Flip 5G, S20 FE
- Lighting position editing: Galaxy S21, Z Fold 3, Z Flip 3, S21 FE, Note 20, Z Fold 2, Z Flip 5G, S20 FE
- Portrait video telephoto lens support: Galaxy S21, Z Fold 3, S21 FE
- Improved Director’s View: Galaxy S21, Z Fold 3, Z Flip 3
- Telephoto lens support for Pro photo and video modes: Galaxy S21 Ultra, Z Fold 3, S20 Ultra, Note 20 Ultra, Z Fold 2
- Expert RAW app: Galaxy S21 Ultra, Z Fold 3, Note 20 Ultra, S20 Ultra, Z Fold 2
- Snapchat integration: Galaxy S21
Devices will also receive a few non-camera-related enhancements, such as a screen-sharing tool for Google Duo and access to a keyboard with built-in grammar-checking features from Grammarly.
According to the Korean community site, the update will begin rolling out to S21 devices in Korea today, and it appears to have already arrived on the Galaxy Z Fold 3 and Z Flip 3. There is no information on when it will be available for the additional devices listed below.